Monday, September 16, 2013

Pineapple Upside-down Cupcakes



I wish my picture taking abilities did these cupcakes justice!! they are SO good!
When I was little my mom used to make a few "famous" desserts; chocolate chip cookies, banana split cake, Pistachio Pudding (which we now know as watergate salad) and Pineapple Upside Down Cake.  So for me, turning this into a cupcake and adding buttercream was crucial.  As usual folks, I did not follow any certain recipe but made my own up after unsuccessfully trying to follow someone else's.  The results? A hit!!!! I guess you can say that I am called to bake and am the reigning Cupcake Queen, at least in my area; hope you enjoy!

Cake:
1 box Butter Recipe Cake Mix
INSTEAD OF WATER USE THE PINEAPPLE JUICE FROM THE PINEAPPLE

Brown Sugar Buttercream:
Bailey's Brown Sugar Vanilla Creamer
3 cups confectioners sugar
2 sticks butter, softened (1 cup)
a handful of brown sugar (generous)
**this recipe will ONLY decorate 15 cupcakes if you are as frosting happy as I am**

Garnish:
1 can pineapple chunks
1 jar maraschino cherries

Line 2 muffin pans with paper/foil.  Follow the instructions on the box and if you are like me do NOT pay attention to the instructions that tell you how much to fill them, I like my cupcakes with a "mountain" instead of flat, be generous folks, you only get one chance to impress someone with a cupcake and brighten their day.

While the cupcakes are in the oven is a good time to make the buttercream.  Whip the butter and add the confectioners sugar a little at a time because if you are using your kitchen aid mixer, the force of the mixer and the air will blow the sugar all over the counter, you only need to do this once and you will learn :).  Grab a generous handful of brown sugar and add it to the mix, add the creamer until the mixture is smooth but not runny, I never measure so use your own judgement.

After the cupcakes have cooled it is decorating time!!!!!  Use a star tip or a round flat tip, whatever you choose, I went with a star tip this time.  When each cupcake is frosted grab some brown sugar and sprinkle on top, cut your maraschino cherries in half and garnish each cup cake with one pineapple chunk and half a maraschino cherry.  THAT IS IT!

An easy cupcake to do with or for the kids, grown ups will love it to!!!  Enjoy this tasteful blast from the past :)


Pineapple Upside-Down Cupcakes




No comments:

Post a Comment